Wednesday, May 25, 2011

What do you get out of it...?

Cassie has always been my "questions girl"...as a toddler, she would spend the day asking me questions about anything and everything...I've always tried my best to answer them as best I can.

She is twelve (for another precious few weeks), so when she was little, I wasn't that much into Google...my answers had to come from what I knew to be true, if not we went to Daddy.
Maddie has never been as "chatty"...she will say something when she feels it is worth saying - very resourceful, she was always one of those kids who entertain themselves...as long as I was in her line of vision, she was OK. I remember going out to parties etc when she was tiny. All we had to bring was her little quilt and some toys, and she was right.


Thursday afternoons are the busiest for me (us) - Cassie has two dance lessons, Hubby plays basketball and Maddie heads to the "mall" with her friends for two hours after school. Us mums take it in turns to pick the girls up from the shops and ferry them back to their respective homes.

I am used to the routine - I take a couple of mandarines, a magazine in case I have to wait for someone and my Blackberry. In the car I listen to music, or sometimes "The Quiz" on the ABC...


.............



A couple of weeks ago, I had picked Cassie up from her dance lesson (at the top of the Mountains) and was heading down to pick Hubby up from the town at the very bottom of the Mountains (about 40 minutes down the Great Western Highway), and then we would pick Maddie up from a friend's place on our way back home.


Cassie - Wow, Mummy you sure do a lot of driving around for us on Thursdays...
I agreed and told her I'd actually been in the car for about two hours without getting out by that stage.
Cassie - What do you get out of it...?
Me - Ummm, nothing really...what do you mean?
Cassie - You know, what's in it for you? Why do you do it?
Me - Well, you love your dance lessons, and Daddy loves playing basketball, and Maddie enjoys her weekly outing with her friends...so you're all doing stuff that makes you happy
Cassie - But is there something about tonight that makes YOU happy, Mummy?
Me - If the three people I love most in the world are happy, I'm happy too.
Cassie - Gee, you must love us a lot, Mummy. I would be cranky to have to drive everyone around so much.
Me - Cassie, when you're married to a wonderful man and you have some beautiful kids that you love more than anything in the world, you'll get it. If they're happy, you're happy too.
Cassie - I hope so Mummy, 'cause right now, I can't understand it.


...........


Lucky she caught me in a good mood that evening - who knows what I'd have said if I had PMS or not had enough sleep the night before...


That's my girl - always making me think...


Yikes!!! It's Thursday tomorrow!!!!

xoxox

2 comments:

  1. That's just it though isn't it? It's what Mums do and seeing our children happy is enough to make us happy.

    Having it acknowledged and appreciated every now and then, well, that's a lovely bonus.

    ReplyDelete