Monday, May 16, 2011

Cto5K ... Day 1

Well, after much procrastinating and excuse-making, I did it.

A comment by my friend Karen jolted me into action last week. I can't remember what we were talking about - more than likely weight loss, and I said something to which she replied - "Now Sandy don't be a "Gunner" - Just Do It. Just lose the weight"

So yesterday, at about 1pm, after catching up the ironing (which would usually have been an excuse to not work out because my back is damn sore after ironing for two hours), I got into some "comfy" layers and set off with my new little pedometer/calorie counter/stop watch thingy...

It was quite a balmy Autumn afternoon in the mountains, at 10 degrees, and the sun was shining...

And I did it!

I followed the intervals as best I could, and although it didn't seem like that long a period of time compared to my usual hour and a half long walks, I managed to run for 60 secs then walk for 90 secs for a total time of 20 minutes, plus a brisk 5 minute walk to warm up and another 5 minutes to get back home.


It was harder than I expected - my lungs were crying out in pain by the end of each of those 60 seconds...but it was more enjoyable than I expected - I came home with a delicious sense of achievement, and an "I can do this!" feeling that is hard to explain.


I kept repeating to myself "one step at a time", as I became tired, and it really helped take my mind off the pain and lack of breath.

I also drew inspiration from something Hubby told me last week -

He remembers reading Yiannis Kouros' biography, in which he talks about his ultra marathons, where he mentions that he never thinks about what he has to do next - instead he focuses on this stretch of road, this kilometre etc

I guess the message is to focus on the present and just do it - whatever comes next will take care of itself - a good philosophy for life in general, I think?


So, this morning a little (make that a lot) stiff, and what's "odd" is that I feel sore all over, as if I'd done a full body work-out...


Planning on a long walk today and then tomorrow it's Day 2. More of the same as Day 1 but really looking forward to it :)


Cassie is sick - she started with a nasty head cold on Saturday and now has a dreadful cough and sore throat. We have a Dr's appointment for this afternoon...poor little pumpkin, she hates missing out on school, but I'd rather she got well instead of going to school and spreading the bug to her friends and getting sicker in the process.


Have a great week everyone.


xoxox


10 comments:

  1. Hey Sandra, what an insightful bit of advice about focussing only on the present and getting the immediate job done rather than stressing about the future.

    I'm really guilty of skimming over the here and now and always looking at whats a week, a month or a year away. Its almost like expecting something bigger and better is just down the track when in actual fact I should be thankful for what I have right now (hmm there might be a blog post in that little idea right there)

    :-) Magda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Magda - I won't take credit for the inspiration, but I am glad that putting it out there has helped someone look at things differently.
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello there, dropping in via Drab to Fab, just wanted to say that I got to Week 6, Day 2 today... and I can't believe I have got that far and that I ran for 10 mins twice! Slowly, mind you... but I did it! You'll get there, it's a good program I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you using the Robert Ulrey podcast?

    I love it. LOVE IT.

    It is stepped so well - it is so achievable.

    My husband has finally started and is up to week 7. He too just takes it one session at a time.

    WELL DONE!

    Thank you for linking up to Diminishing Lucy's Drab to Fab!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done for making a start! Visiting from Drab to Fab.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seana - WOW! Well done...maybe I CAN run after all...

    Lucy - no, I haven't looked at anything other than the plan "on paper"...didn't want to overwhelm myself x

    Allison - Hi, thanks for dropping in, we all have to start somewhere I guess...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just wanted to say good luck with c25k! I did week 2 #3 of today and I'm really happy with my progress.

    Visiting from Drab to fab

    ReplyDelete
  8. In January last year I started the c25k programme... it was so, so hard! I had a goal to work towards - the Mother's Day Classic 4km run. I did that, and some other run events... Now I am training for a half marathon.
    All because of the c25k! Keep going. I thought I was going to collapse when I started it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Naomi, I've been reading through your running posts and I love that you tell it like it is. You described exactly what I feel when I go out for my C25K...I thought it was just me, and that I was ridiculously unfit, but to know that someone else felt exactly the same pain/despair/discomfort means I just have to stick with it and I WILL get there. x

    ReplyDelete