Thursday, May 26, 2011

My secret to Fab skin...

I was blessed with genes for "good" skin...

I have a light olive complexion, thanks to the French on my Dad's side and the Spanish on my Mum's side...so I can go out in the sun and don't burn instantly, and I look younger than my "pure Anglo" friends who are the same age.


BUT .......


No amount of good genes is going to help if you neglect your skin - which is what I have been doing lately.


I looked in the mirror the other night and did not like what I saw, the next morning was no better - puffy eyes, dry itchy spots and dull looking skin.


Time to bring out the Big Guns....Botox...? Facial Peel...?....ummmm....NO!!!



Here is what I do for Fab Skin -


*** Water!!!
- I need to drink at least 1.5L of good old H2O every day, 2L is even better. It completely reduces any puffiness and uneven skin tone in as little as two weeks

*** Exercise - after a really good work-out, I can usually look in the mirror and my face is bright red and even "purplish". That's a sign that I've really got the blood pumping, and my skin benefits from the work-out too. Again, I can notice an improvement in my skin within weeks of regular exercise.

*** Exfoliate - As we get older, our skin needs more help in renewing itself, when we are teenagers, our skin gets rid of the outer layers once every 28 days more or less. This slows down as we age, so exfoliating once a week is one way to keep the old cells "moving" right along.

Moisturise - I've been really slack these past few months and now that the chill has hit, I am paying for it. So my plan is to moisturise every morning and use a slightly "heavier" moisturiser at night after my shower. I've never used extremely expensive moisturisers. I worked in cosmetics and skin care for a short period of time and learnt that most beauty products contain the exact same ingredients, but we pay for the extra fragrances and packaging and, of course, the *brand name*


*** Eat FRESH - when I add my minimum two serves of fruit and a couple of cups of salad/veggies to my diet, my skin thanks me for it.


*** Sleep !!!! - I need at least seven hours good, uninterrupted sleep. This varies for everyone, but you know when you've had the *right* amount of sleep.



NOT ROCKET SCIENCE...IS IT?


So there you have it - my plan for Fab skin... now I have it in writing, I feel more accountable to *Me*


I'm linking to Lucy's Drab2Fab this week....check it out, lots of gorgeous Drab2Fab ideas.




10 comments:

  1. We're on the same wave length this week with water and exercise. makes me feel better inside and out when I have water, exercise and sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You two are a match made in heaven.

    I totally agree re the water for skin. I am very lucky with my skin and always have been 9despite a very very unhealthy past!) and like you, I know the minute I feel a bit "grey" that I just need to up the H20.

    Thank you so much for linking up.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Naomi! Simple, isn't it? ... if only I could find the cure for "inconsistency"...LOL

    Lucy - loving the gorgeous bloggers I'm meeting through your Drab2Fab!

    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true. Water is definitely the key.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally agree with your formula but would add one moe ingredient from personal experience : GOOD FATS (olive oil, LSA, olives, salmon, nuts)

    Oh and when you find the cure for inconsistency, I'll have me some as well.

    :-) M

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sigh. These things are the 'cure all' for everything from skin complaints to weight loss to longevity... you name it. Why do we find them so difficult!! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's hard to do them all at the same time though isn't it?

    Having recently hit the big 45 (eek, lets NOT mention that again ok)I've realised that I need to take more care and be thankful that I have been blessed with good skin but without some care it's not going to stay that way for much longer.

    Water really is the key ingredient.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Magda - I agree about the fats, I have never cut them out of my diet so to me it goes without saying. Hahaha I wonder how much I could charge for the "cure for inconsistency pills"...? x

    Maxabella - everything takes effort, doesn't it? Maybe prioritising "ourselves" at the top of the to do list would help...?x

    Sarah - Totally agree, we can have great skin to start with, but once we hit those 4-0's, we still need to work at it. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it! Thanks for the tips--got my water right here :) And SLEEP is so important! You hit the nail on the head with all of these.

    ReplyDelete