Friday, June 1, 2012

At last...some treatment, and dare I say it - Relief!!!




If you've been following my Foot Chronicles you know that I've had pain in my right foot since late last year...after x-rays and ultrasounds revealed nothing, a MRI said "neuroma" (so did Liz, about five months ago)...


To cut a long story short, today I saw an Exercise Physiologist of my choice because basically I was not impressed by the service I received at the clinic my GP had referred me too.


My "physio" did a full (and to date the most thorough) examination of both my feet and explained a lot of stuff about my feet to me and to his work-experience uni student, which was great as I like to know everything and ask lots of questions...


Once he'd made his diagnosis, he asked me how much of the day I spent in pain...I answered depending on whether I was sitting for most of the day or not, I could spend as much as the latter half of the day in pain...


He then asked "Have you had any treatment yet?"...when I replied "No", he asked me to stand in front of him so he could see how long I coped on my toes etc and for a moment I thought he was going to give me a hug...LOL



Seriously though, I really clicked with him and I think that will make a big difference to my recovery.


He did a lot of manipulation and pressure on my poor sore foot and he did explain to his student that the bad thing about this particular sort of condition is that the treatment is very painful...but he was so caring and communicative that it didn't seem too bad at all.



I have some homework to do in the shape of applying pressure and rolling my feet on a golf ball. I see him again next Wednesday, and I have to take the three pairs of shoes I will be wearing the most so he can insert a little foam "orthotic" in the shape of a tear drop...it's to separate the bones of my toes and relieve the pressure on the nerves in my feet. (That's my layman's explanation of it anyway)



Half an hour after the treatment, I felt like my foot was *lighter*, more *free* and definitely pain-free...it's getting a bit sore right now, but hey, I'm holding on to that sensation anyway.



yes, I can definitely see that light at the end of the tunnel ... here's to ridding my foot of that nasty pain and getting back to my beloved long walks this Winter.




**** and on that note, I am celebrating the first day of Winter! We are lighting a little bonfire Sunday morning and having some friends over for morning tea around the fire....but I did hear that it might rain, so I guess we'll see.



I hope you all have a great weekend.


Being June, work-wise things get VERY busy for me for the next month, so I may not be around here much.




Bye for now.



xo

2 comments:

  1. How great! It's nice to 'gel' with someone that's treating you and I really hope you get some relief!

    PS. I love winter so am excited by the official kick-off!
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Deb...and so nice to find a fellow Winter lover :) xo

    ReplyDelete