Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Realistic Goal Setting



It was well and truly time to re-visit my (non-existent) goals if I want to get back into the groove of this fitness and weight loss *journey*.

Yesterday Hubby and I made the executive decision not to attend our company's conference this year for various reasons - we don't have any suitable babysitters for our girls (they're at that funny age where they're a little bit too old to be "babysat" but still too young to be left alone overnight) and we feel our dollars are better put to use somewhere else, like a family holiday at the end of the year...

That means my main incentive to drop some kg's and tone up is gone.


                                         ********************


But that isn't a bad thing from where I see it...

You see, working towards a set event doesn't always work for me...it usually causes me so much stress that I just sit there marking months, weeks then days off the calendar until I reach panic point and resort to extreme measures such as diet shakes or fasting /detox - type stuff...and invariably I don't lose a lot of weight and guess what?- I come back from the conference/wedding/holiday with the weight back on and then some...


So you get the picture, I think it's time to do something I've never done before - enjoy the *journey* without the stress of a deadline. I have some goals that I will have a crack at, but nothing too stressful :


* Fit into my jeans for my birthday (I've shared this one with my family and they think it's a good one)
- my birthday is about four weeks away, so it is achievable, I own a wide variety so I'm bound to fit into something

* Work out 4-5 times a week.
- I have found some old HIIT workouts from a couple of years ago that served me very well in dropping the body fat so am looking forward to re-visiting them as well as adding in some resistance workouts and of course, I'm loving my Monday mornings PT's

* Lose an average of half a kilo per week.
- This is a huge change in mindset for me. I always fall into the trap of comparing myself with others who are trying to lose weight, be it on their Blogs or on the forum of whatever plan I'm following...often these people are heavier than I am and have more weight to lose, so therefore they start off with losses of a couple of kg's a week...at last the penny drops!



I really think this approach will see me drop some weight, gain some fitness and what's more important, keep the weight off. This is about changing my lifestyle, not getting to an imaginary finish line.


On that note, I'd better start dishing up dinner as my kiddies should be arriving home soon from dance and piano lessons.

It's freezing up here, but we escaped the crazy weather Sydney has been copping over the last couple of days. I hope you're staying warm and dry.


Hugs

xo

6 comments:

  1. Hi Sandra, yet again your words could be mine "working towards an event doesnt always work ..." Ditto. I had big plans to get lean and toned in time for my holiday but here I am a couple of weeks away and I weigh roughly the same as I did 10 weeks ago. I've accepted that I will go on holiday heavier than I'd like to be because I'm working on changing long term behaviours. Sort of in sync with your lifestyle / finish line concept.

    :-) M

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...Doesn't surprise me Magda. By the way, I'm ordering "Fattitude" today and have subscribed to Craig's email list. Already got one very thought-provoking article from him today. Thanks for sharing. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Working towards an event has never "worked" for me either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sandra, I love your goals - very sensible and sustainable. And I agree with you (and Magda and Liz), losing for an event can be such an artificial goal... once it's over it's so easy to revert to old behaviour.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deb - it's never worked for me, good to learn from past mistakes. :)

      Delete