Thursday, June 7, 2012

Grateful (inspired by Kek)




Inspired by Kerryn's post today, I decided to jump on her bandwagon and list some things I'm truly grateful and a little proud of...here goes -

* My marriage. Hubby (Michael) and I have been married for 19 years this September. At a time when so many marriages around us are *suddenly* falling apart, this is an achievement. During a little conversation we had a couple of weeks ago during which I confessed my currently low self esteem, it was beautiful to hear him say "I love you as you are right now. I want to grow old with you." <swoon>

* My daughters. (Maddie and Cassie). Yes, they are teenage girls, and yes, I do whinge about them, and No, they are not perfect. BUT they are basically GOOD girls. They are caring and have lovely groups of friends. They do well at school. Heck, I can honestly say they've never played truant, and I'm very proud to say, they have a natural aversion to all things drugs and alcohol...hey, I call that an achievement!

* I am constantly trying to improve my health. I am forever grateful for this body that is refusing to act like it's 47 years old....

* I am grateful for the fact that our business brings in enough money for us to live comfortably - we are by NO MEANS wealthy, but we have enough, and that is reason to be grateful in these times of uncertainty.

* Good health. Hubby, the girls and I are basically healthy. Yes, we get sinus allergies. Yes, we get the odd cold or flu, but we don't have anything seriously wrong with any of us, and that is a blessing.

* I am so thankful that we can live in a part of the world we love. We have a good community, the girls go to a good school, and if we could start all over again, we would live exactly where we live now.

* and last but not least, I am grateful for our pets. We have had many over the years, and they are such a source of joy and delight to us all. Michael and I were animal lovers before we met, and the girls fortunately share our joy in having pets around us.


That's some of the stuff that rocks my world at the moment. It may not be everybody's cup of tea, but it's part of what makes me happy.




Thanks Kerryn for your post today. It is so easy to fall into the trap of comparing ourselves to others, and as you say in your post, the internet has opened communications to a world-wide level, which can actually magnify this issue.



It is so important to remember what makes each and everyone of us *tick* and look to ourselves and our own lives for some stuff to give thanks for.



So here's a little challenge for you - what are you grateful for or proud of today? Write in your Blog about it or leave me a comment. We are all awesome! Let's just stop the comparisons.



"Comparisons are odious" - Madeleine L'Ongle



6 comments:

  1. You are most welcome, Sandra. It was a short phone conversation with Liz last night that prompted my post. Sometimes we just need to get out of our own heads and realise how well off we really are.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! I function so much better when I take a little time to actually spell out the things that are "going well" for me and my family. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree with both of your perspectives ladies and mine is very similar. Happy family, good health, financial security. When I can tick all those boxes (and I can ) then I know life is good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! I love that you're able to step back and appreciate what you have! There should be more of it! (Me included!)

    Deb

    ReplyDelete