Friday, June 15, 2012

I think it's called "Inertia"



You know those days weeks when you feel SO overwhelmed by life in general that you don't know where to begin...?when you feel like bawling but you literally don't have the energy...?when you wish - a) you could sleep for a very long time and wake up to everything having fixed itself while you were asleep OR b) that one day would last about 100 hours so you could get everything done, go to bed and wake up refreshed the next morning...?

That's me right now - and I apologise if none of this makes sense as I can't make much sense of it myself either.

Last weekend was a long weekend, and I think in my mind I had planned it to be a sunny Winter's weekend during which I would catch up the ironing, clean the house and still have time to enjoy a coffee on the deck with hubby while he had a break from clearing the yards...


Nature, or rather Life, had other plans.

It rained, drizzled and was a generally drab three days weather-wise...I had a nasty head cold which made me tired and irritable...

NO ironing was done.
NO house-cleaning was done.
...and much to my disgust,
there was NO sitting on the deck because it was too cold and wet...


So on Tuesday I was quite disoriented as I was sure it was Monday but in fact I'd lost Monday and achieved very little...

Cassie's 14th birthday came and went...she has two Eistedfodds this weekend so there was no night off from dance...Hubby and Maddie made her a birthday cake (and a mess in the kitchen), she got some pressies and I've managed to squeeze in a family get-together for tomorrow night.

I have driven the girls all the way to school every morning this week...I have not been getting up when the alarm goes and as a result it makes them late - I need to get them into the habit of packing bags and getting clothes ready the night before...


As the week progresses I have made no progress...I'm guilty of procrastinating big time and cannot manage to prioritise ... it's all very well to write about it but I need to do something!!!


As the weekend approaches, my levels of anxiety are increasing...

* I am falling behind in work, so much to do but where to begin?
* I have exercised a grand total of one day this week...so much for increasing my fitness levels
* By 7pm I could quite easily fall asleep wherever I may be at the time
* the kitchen looks like a bomb hit (yet again)
* don't even get me talking about the laundry...I can't bring myself to sorting through it...have been doing undies and school uniforms to get by
* Cassie has practice for the Eistedfodd tonight and tomorrow afternoon
* Maddie has just announced that she is going to a friend's place for a sleepover after work (7pm) and they are going to the city to a festival tomorrow but she will be back in time for Cassie's birthday party (this only means that no doubt I will be doing some extra driving...)
* I have most of the food organised but still need to round up the basics, like drinks and nibblies...and the cake! - I know I'm going to forget the cake!!!!
* Hubby has just announced that he is working tomorrow...so I have to pick him up in time to shower and change before Cassie's party
* Sunday we need to leave by 10.30 for the first Eistedfodd and who knows what time we'll be back...then it's Monday. Rinse and Repeat.


The good thing is we are having Cassie's party at the hall in my mother in law's complex. That way they don't have to drive over here in the evening (I would never hear the end of it)...and it is also "hand over time" so mum will actually stay with my brother for the next four weeks.

My energy levels are non-existent at the moment, and the more overwhelmed I get, the less I seem to accomplish...I think it's called "inertia"...


To top it all off, mum is going through her usual last minute demands..."Have you washed such and such a cardigan? don't forget I need to see the podiatrist before I go, I need something better to wear to Cassie's party, can someone paint my nails?" and on and on and on...it's like she wants to cram everything into the last 12 hours here...


Even the fact that I'm posting here and wasting spending way too much time on FB and Twitter shows that I am procrastinating and feeling overwhelmed.


aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!!!!!!!!!


I NEED TO GET BACK INTO A SENSIBLE AND WORKABLE ROUTINE


I will give myself the next four weeks to establish some new (or long forgotten) habits to get into a routine that works for our family now...

I used to have some *systems* in place when the girls were little but as they've gotten older and things have changed routine is lacking around here.


Can I do it in 30 days...maybe...one day at a time.






Inertia - Inertia has a biological purpose for all animals: to replenish one’s power. All warm-blooded animals require large amounts of sleep to replenish. In some animals, inertia is a self-protective move...There are legitimate reasons for the withdrawal of psychic energy: emotional loss, physical illness, stress and anxiety, and psychological transformation. It is critical to recognize the deeper reason for inertia. For whatever reason when psychic energy is zapped it is not available for consciousness and the person has regressed to a lower level of functioning.
Inspired by Esther Harding’s book Psychic Energy: Its source and its transformation

5 comments:

  1. Sorry you're having such a crappy time - but if you have been unwell that really wouldn't help I suspect... Don't be too hard on yourself and good luck in getting back into your routines!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandra, please sit down with a cup of tea - or even better - a glass of wine, take a deep breath and think back to Michael telling you how well orgainsed you are and how you hold the family together and keep everything that should be happening, happening.

    Feeling better now? Maybe. Maybe not.

    Now work out a rough plan in your head for how you will cope with all of the above both short and long term. Your situation and how you're feeling is quite normal. As working wives and mothers this is the crap - errr stuff - we deal with daily and we CAN do it (after we've had our mini meltdowns and rants).

    We may not always excel but by God we will survive. One step at a time. Lower the bar when you need to. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

    ((hugs))

    xx m

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sound like the old me. I used to place so much self-imposed pressure on myself that it was sucking the life out of me. Until I stopped and starting living my life day by day.

    That's exactly what you need to do Sandra. You need to stop placing so much self-imposed pressure upon yourself. Whenever those negative thoughts entire my mind I acknowledge them, let them go and replace them with the thought "I'll figure it out".

    So what if I didn't get my ironing done on the weekend and have to do it next weekend, it's not the end of the world as I know it. Life happens, we get sick and unpredictable events happen. I just adapt and adjust to to whatever life presents me and get on with my day.

    Concentrate on the positive things and not the negative things.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, SNAP! My week has been similar. I found myself thinking yesterday: "weekend, awesome. I'll be able to catch up". But I have to take my mum out this morning, and tomorrow I'm spending the day with my friend (who has way more problems than me), so once more, there will be no housework done.

    I'm not allowing myself to get into a tizz about it though; I'll get the important washing done, I'm about to message my ironing lady to organise a pickup on Monday and the world won't fall apart if my floors are dirty.

    I'm also going to try a different approach - make a (short) list of the household tasks that absolutely must be done, and divide them up across the week. I can make time for 15-30 minutes of something each night, and then hopefully NEXT weekend won't need to be spent in a cleaning frenzy, or wallowing around feeling overwhelmed.

    Can you outsource any of your housework? Ironing's an easy and cheap one to begin with, and it's one less thing on your shoulders. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deb - I think being sick last weekend was definitely the catalyst as I was getting behind with housework etc and had bookmarked that weekend to catch up...
    Magda - I already have a short list in my head that I will start implementing today...
    Lia - humbled by your words as I've always admired your "got it all together" outlook on life. Nice to see I'm not alone.
    Kek - I like the thought of 30 mins a day. I have also decided that my girls need to start giving a hand with the "communal" stuff.

    Thank you lovely friends. I am switching off for most of this weekend to concentrate on all the above and also needing some "Me" time. A bit of pampering goes a long way :)

    ReplyDelete