Thursday, January 12, 2012

Room for Improvement - Time Management ... here's one where I need your input!

Well, here I am typing this post at 2.50pm on a weekday...

I think this illustrates my point for today's post exactly...my time-management skills are currently non-existent.

The reason I am blogging now (and reading blogs and forums etc) is because I have a small amount of time to myself while hubby pops out, I've done the "urgent" paperwork that was on my desk today and I've managed to hang out a load of washing...so it sort of feels like this is my well-earned down time...ummm

I am hoping to get a long walk in today, but I have no idea when that will be, I should do an hour or so of ironing, but I know that once I start, I won't stop for a couple of hours which means I will panic about what to cook for dinner when it's too late.



***********************************


I started typing this post last Thursday afternoon, it is now Monday...again, further proof of my poor time-management.


Sunday saw me make some headways into getting organised for the week. I always *hope* to do that, but don't seem to have much success. The girls seem to come up with last minute plans that involve me as taxi driver and that can take hours away from my day.

So I caught up on the ironing (except for the uniform and business shirts, but Maddie has offered to do a few every day until they're done), which feels amazing. I also changed sheets and did some grocery shopping, with a menu plan for the week (sort of) in mind.

This is a lot more than I normally achieve on weekends and it's wonderful what a difference it's made to my mindset this morning.


I know that I need to plan in advance a lot more from now on. Time management is not one of my strengths, and it is something I really need and want to improve.


In reflection, I think one of the reasons I achieved so much yesterday is because I had very little time online, I spent about 30 minutes on my laptop in the evening, which felt like a bit of a reward for a productive day.



Tell me, how do you manage your time? Any tips or suggestions...? I work from home, do all my own housework, have two busy teenage girls, and I enjoy Blogworld and Twitter....to top it all off, I am working on some weight loss and fitness goals so need to make time for a daily workout...

4 comments:

  1. Hi Sandra, I also work from home, do my own housework, blog, and am working on my fitness. It's hard to fit it all in! I have found Flylady (www.flylady.net) quite useful to help me stay on top of housework. Cheers, Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Charlotte, thanks for stopping by :) . I heard about Flylady a few years ago when my girls were little, I must admit her system worked for me...I must go back on her site and get into some routines...I think that's the key - if habits become routines, then the basics fall into place.
    ps. I love your Blog (bit of a lurker)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sandra, when the pressure was on last October I coped by banning all social media during the week and then having a massive binge on the weekend (LOL). Peter and I share the housework so my bit is never too daunting and if absolutely necessary I take a few short cuts. I agree that routines are important and I absolutely swear by lists. Its motivating crossing off each task as its completed - even the menial stuff.

    :-) M

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Magda, at the moment, we are in the midst of major reno's, mainly done by Michael, so I don't expect a lot of help with the housework. I used to write lists every night, and I agree that crossing items off is very satisfying...something to start doing again, I think.

    ReplyDelete