Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Room for Improvement - Relationships (Part 1)

Following on from my goals and desires for 2012. I am putting down strategies to improve certain (OK - most) areas of my life which have suffered recently or been sorely neglected, which brings me to

Relationships

Now, a couple of years ago, I made the conscious decision to rid my life of all "toxic" relationships,and basically stop hanging out or listening to people who brought me down...I believe I achieved that, but during 2011, I found myself withdrawing from society a little too much...an old friend once told me she only had a select number of friends because they were like flowers to her : they needed constant care and attention, and if her "garden" got too crowded, some flowers didn't get the attention they deserved... I know, I know, she has a way with words :)


So the goal for 2012 is to re-ignite some old friendships and develop some new friendships that are emerging.

I also hope to catch-up with some of my Bloggy Besties, the first one being the fabulous Magda who lives in Adelaide. I'll be visiting Adelaide for a short conference at the end of May, and there is no way I would pass up the opportunity to have (a very long) coffee with this kindred spirit. Another blogger on my list is Liz, RPM instructor extrodinaire, I suspect when I do finally make the trip up North it will be an interesting catch-up, as she is renowned for her punishing RPM classes...

I am thrilled to say it looks like I've found a local who may just become a Training Buddy. Leonie is a fellow 12WBT member up here in the Blue Mountains and she is proving to be a powerhouse when it comes to motivating and organising group sessions. She has organised a get-to-know-you lunch on 21st January and I'm really looking forward to it.

But friends don't all need to be about Fitness...I have set a lunch date today with a friend whom I haven't properly caught up with in ages. We texted Happy New Year messages to each other and the conversation turned to catching up. We are both extremely busy, so we thought if we didn't put the date in our calendar today, it might just not happen. So we are catching up for a girly lunch in March (my favourite month)

There is also a lovely couple that we used to go out with as part of a group. When that group drifted apart, no one saw anyone else, but we ran into Marie at our regular coffee shop (she goes there daily too) and hubby and I decided we will contact her and her hubby to catch up somewhere nice for dinner one day soon.

Lastly there is the lady I may or may not have mentioned (her husband owns the coffee shop I mentioned above). We met at a Christmas party, and I mentioned that I want to start running...to cut a long story short, she has been running for about six years and offered to take me out a few times so I can get the hang of it...she and her husband are gorgeous and we all get along really well...


So that's my friendship plans...I think just to be more "present" for my friends, and not withdraw into my shell so much (typical Cancerian)...real friends will stand by you during good and bad times, if you let them. This I am learning.



I am excited about the prospects 2012 brings in this part of my life...this crab has been hiding too long - time to join the world again!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Sandra, I accidentally missed your post from yesterday :-( but reading it now I'd say you have a great positive attitude, you know where you went wrong before and you have a plan and support system in place to achieve your goals. To me, that sounds like a recipe for success. Oh and why apologies for daily or regular weighing? If it works for you, stuff the rest. Different strokes for different folks.

    Wooho bring on May, I say. I'm looking forward to meeting you face to face and I'm sure neither of us will retreat to our Cancerian shells :-)

    Xx m

    ReplyDelete
  2. Magda - 2012 is looking like some good things could happen, that's enough for me.xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sandra

    You are way too kind :)

    And I can relate to what you are talking about taking car about relationships. It has just reminded me I had a chat on Facebook with someone I have been friends with since I was 5 ...... some 41 years ago. We haven't seen each other in some years - partly because I have retreated into my Cancerian shell as I have been so self conscious about my weight gain. We agreed to get together after Christmas - so I must get back in touch with her - today!

    When I saw your post about RPM this afternoon, I thought about joining you - but right now my legs are a little sore after the Giant Staircase walk - so not so sure I could handle a bike ride. :(

    Leonie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah Leonie, a fellow Cancerian...time for us to come back out to the light and shine for a while! I did Pump yesterday and could hardly move my legs today but thought RPM would "loosen things up" a little...not sure whether it was the right thing to do, time will tell :) Well done on the steps!

    ReplyDelete