Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Time to get Hubby back on track



As you all know, about 15 months ago, Hubby decided to chuck in the 9-5 and come work from home with me...

We're doing fine. We actually still enjoy spending time together and work well as a team professionally...one thing HAS suffered though, and that's our health.

You've all been subjected to reading about my expanding waistline etc but what you don't know is that Hubby has picked up a huge *sugar addiction* along the way.


I believe last Monday was the turning point, let me describe his day to you -

Breakfast - he used to eat some Weet Bix as soon as he got up, but now he's started to *skip* breakfast and doesn't eat until we get a coffee, around 9am, and his breakfast of choice has become 2 croissants with jam and a large Mocha


Mid morning snack - cuppa (tea) with 4-5 choc chip cookies


Lunch - home made ham and cheese melt (on white bread)


Afternoon - (here is where it REALLY gets ugly) 7 muffins - I made two batches of muffins to have on hand...half of them were strawberry and half were choc chip


Later in the afternoon - we took Cassie to dance lesson and as we'd both had a rotten night's sleep, he called into the only coffee shop open at that time for a take-away coffee and he came back with a HUGE slice of flourless chocolate cake, I had a bite and the thing was so thick and dense that I felt ill...


Dinner - chorizo hot-pot with potatoes and other vegies


Dessert - ice cream


Tuesday morning he wasn't feeling well at all...very very sick in the tummy and a bit of a headache. We wondered what was wrong with him and then I suggested it may have something to do with the amount of SUGAR he consumed the previous day.


***************************************

To cut a long story short, he decided he needed to make some changes to his diet and decided cutting out added sugar was a good place to start. He hasn't really put on a lot of weight since his change of jobs, but he just doesn't look very well. Little things, like his skin and eyes are looking a bit dull...


So I shall keep you posted on how we progress. Today is Day 1 and so far so good. He is a little quieter than usual, but we do have a lot of work on so that could explain it.

We are also looking at our schedule to incorporate some weights workouts together during the day...I'm really looking forward to that. He really pushes me when we train together and I love the results of lifting heavy :-)


The other good thing is that I will be able to stick to my eating plan a lot better, as it has been so hard to stay away from sugary treats with him around 24/7



***Hopefully we'll prove to be a good team on the fitness front as well ***



5 comments:

  1. Good luck to you both with this. Such an easy trap to fall into when you wrok from home but, on the plus side, cutting sugar from your diet can leave you feeling pretty rubbish for a couple of days but it IS only a couple of days and then you really start feeling the benefits.

    Having an eating routine is something I've learned a lot about recently and that's pretty important too.

    And fresh air! Getting out (even if it's only for 20 minutes) and not on the school run or poping to the shops but a little time just to either have a brisk walk or to sit in the sun just to break up the day and clear your mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sarah, yesterday went pretty well. Last night my mum passed around a box of choccies she got for her birthday and Hubby just said "none for me thanks"...the girls and I were so proud of him. He has a very strong will so he may just surprise us all. Lucky (for me) he's helping out his cousin all day today so off he went with a packed lunch full of goodies. We try to get out for an hour long walk most days, it's lovely this time of year :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hoowee what a stellar effort by your husband on his sugar consumption (mind you, I'd match that on a binge or comfort eating day so I'm not one to point the finger).

    Having said that, now that he's made up his mind to change it, I'm sure he'll do really well. Men seem to have this inate sense of getting on with it - actions as opposed to emotions. And when you're both on the same page, its even better.

    M

    ReplyDelete
  4. Magda - the girls were worried he was training for some sort of sugar-a-thon...(I've mentioned to him on occasion that he's been eating like a girl with PMS) he's actually had us all worried, but no amount of nagging would make him see sense...he had to feel *bad* himself to do something about it.

    He's been really good, there was some soft drink left in our fridge yesterday when he got home and I saw him looking at it but then went and got a glass of cold water instead. He's putting me to shame!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dont you hate how they can do that!!! Damn the action vs emotion - men have it easier, I swear!!

    BTW I've nominated you for a Liebster Blog Award. Hop over to my blog to find out about it (or Hilary's for ALL the details)

    ReplyDelete