Saturday, March 3, 2012

The foot saga continues...

I had an ultrasound and x-rays on my foot last Thursday.

The ultrasound technician was very friendly and started off by complementing me on my "soft and flexible" foot...a nice change from the feet riddled with arthritis that she usually sees...I was sitting on the bed feeling quite smug and then she started the ultrasound on the sore foot...

From the looks on her face, and the way she went over certain areas of my foot a few times, I was sure of one of two things :

a) This whole thing was in my mind and there was absolutely *nothing* wrong with my foot (omg am I a hypochondriac after all?)

OR

b) There was something *more* wrong with my foot than just the little Neuroma we were all looking for.


*************************************

I asked her (although I knew she wasn't allowed to discuss this with me) whether she could see anything going on there...

She of course replied that she couldn't discuss, but that there was a little bit more going on with the sole of my foot than expected, I then told her about a couple of fractures I suffered about 18 years ago and she said that could explain "some" of what she saw...then the doctor came in and they started talking about my foot as if I wasn't there...I can't even remember the terms they used, but I deducted that there appears to be some damage to the "plantal" (?) region of the foot, as well as a Neuroma...


I then went in for the x-rays, and I was given the films to bring with me to my GP...well, there is something WEIRD going on with my big toe...there are two "lumps" showing in the x-rays...calcification perhaps???


The suspense is killing me, and the pain is frustrating me. It is there when I wake up, it is almost constant...I need to keep changing position throughout the day...


I have an appointment with my GP on Monday morning and hopefully all will be explained and we will embark on some form of treatment...in the meantime I've wallowed in self pity and haven't worked out...I read about Bloggers who started learning to run when I did, and they are now running further distances more frequently. This frustrates me, as I was really enjoying the running...but common sense and self-preservation prevails and I know that to do anything like a long walk or even short bursts of running could cause further damage....


So the waiting goes on, I am hoping to make it to the gym over the weekend for some weight training. I love Pump classes but don't think it's a good idea, as the lunges really hurt my foot, so maybe time to dig out some of my old weights programs and do that instead.



Blogger is being silly and am having trouble posting. I have Day 3 of the March Photo a Day waiting to be posted so will keep trying.


Hope you're having a great weekend.


xo

2 comments:

  1. Oh Sandra, I hope the appointment Monday goes well and you get some answers. And hopefully, the problem can be easily remedied... but there's nothing worse than having to wait.

    Don't stress about others who are running further. I started the 'learn to run' program, but quit.... so that's even worse!!!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Deb...apparently as a young child I used to be extremely patient, but it's a trait I'm losing the older I get, especially when it comes to health I want the answers and I want them NOW...
    I don't think "quit" is the right word, you *chose* to stop running - big difference. :-)

    ReplyDelete