Monday, February 13, 2012

12WBT Kick off!

After the last couple of weeks, I was considering pulling out of the 12WBT...came up with a lot of excuses, but luckily I saw them for what they were : excuses, and decided to "JFDI"

I have completed my pre-season Tasks as they've come up, but haven't had the inclination to share them here. However I have decided that for the next 12 weeks I am going to document my experience with Michelle Bridges' 12WBT as well as including my results as far as weight loss and fitness etc.


Yesterday I completed my *Fitness Test*...I purposely "overlooked" this Task last round, and seeing the other members sharing their improvements on the Forum, I regret it. That, and the fact that my #running buddy is documenting and organising her 12WBT with *military precision*, has prompted me to fully join in and post my results...


Ab test - Level 3 (sit ups)

Wall Sit - 36 seconds (man, that hurt!)

Sit and Reach - +8cm

.... we also had to do a 1km run and time it. Hubby, Cassie and I drove a little up the mountains to find a "flatish" road, as all the ovals around here were soggy, and our suburb is quite hilly. We found a perfect place, a road that runs alongside a popular lake. Hubby dropped me off, then dropped Cassie off at the half-way mark to cheer me on, and positioned himself with the stopwatch at the 1km mark.

I couldn't believe how long 1km was! I've been doing C25K with Leonie, but we're only up to Week 3, so nowhere near running 1km non-stop.


Anyway, off I went, a little faster than my usual shuffle, as I didn't want to be running all afternoon just for the sake of this test ;-)

By the time I got to Cassie, I was thinking I might just walk the rest of the way, my lungs felt like they were exploding, my throat was sore and man, was I out of breath...I heard Cassie say "Keep going Mummy! You can do it! You've already been running for five minutes!"...my thoughts were "Geez! Five minutes! How much longer do I have to run???", So I just kept on going and then started to think of things other than running, like how beautiful these trees would look in a few weeks when Autumn hits, that sort of thing...

Next thing you know I see Hubby walking ahead of me and when he heard me, he had to speed up, as he had to be at the *finish* line before I got there :-D


Then I saw the marker, and I just kept running until I got there...I have never been so out of breath in my life. Hubby and Cassie were cheering me on and kept asking "Do you want to see your time??", so I had a look at the stopwatch : 6 mins 29secs!!! Cassie had used reverse psychology on me! She thought if she told me I'd been running for a very long time, I'd want to hurry up to get it over and done with, and she was sort of right!


I don't know how this time *rates*, and I'm not here to compare myself with others...the one thing that I am so proud of is that I have NEVER run 1km without stopping in my life...



The endorphins kicked in soon after and I think I'm still riding that high 24 hours later...

6 comments:

  1. That's a great pace Sandra. Way faster than I run when I'm fit and doing it regularly. Good luck with the challenge. It might help to make you feel better about the not so good stuff going on.

    Xx m

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Magda! I don't think it's a pace I could have kept up for any longer distance, I'm just shocked that I ran that far without stopping...maybe I'm capable of more than I think. Hope you're well xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a perfectly respectable pace - and you will be able to maintain it over a longer distance within a few weeks. Well done!

    I remember when I started running, I couldn't run even 500m without stopping. But I trained several times a week and built up my distance and within 6 weeks I completed a 5k event in 30:59. I was pretty proud of that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Kek! It's funny, but after doing the 1km, I've started to think that maybe I have been limiting myself by not pushing myself very hard. Yes, it was hard, but I want to get out there and do it again, and again...Your progress sounds great - 5km event in 30mins after only six weeks running...wow! :)

    ReplyDelete