Friday, June 17, 2011

Inspiration - it's everywhere...

I met with a new client yesterday.

I arranged to meet him in a coffee shop on his day off.

From the information he had supplied to me, I could see he had substantial savings for a person his age - he's twenty four years old. I also saw he holds down two part-time jobs but has only been working for a couple of months...

"aha" I thought "typical Gen Y"

A slim built young man walked in and introduced himself to Hubby and I...Hubby went to order coffee and I got straight into "finance" mode.

I asked him about his substantial savings and how it had come about. I expected it to be an inheritance from a grandparent or simply a "gift" from mum and dad...


He told me his "story" very calmly and matter-of-factly :

A couple of years ago, he was driving along a local highway and a truck pulled out and stopped in front of him. He hit the truck at 60km per hour and suffered major injuries...he's been left with fused vertebrae smack in the middle of his back.

He was awarded some compensation and that is how he came about the funds he will use to purchase his first property.


He was forced to be out of work for about two years as he had to undertake major rehabilitation. He was given a 45% chance of not walking again, but within two months he was walking.

He was told he would *never* run again...but he runs 15K a couple of times a week now...

I asked him if his back hurts when he runs...and he didn't quite answer my question, but proceeded to make us laugh by describing all the places he's lost feeling in and how sometimes if he goes out drinking with his mates he needs to "check himself" in the morning as he can walk into things etc and not feel any pain...

He is a lovely, mature and humble young man...his plan is to buy another property within 9-12 months. That's how he plans to "make his money",by investing in property, and his ultimate dream is to buy a house in Sweden in a few years' time.


... I hope he gets there, and I hope I can help him along on his journey...


I told him how inspired I was by him...I hear a lot of people bagging the "Gen Y", of which my girls are a part, and this young man was another example that they are not all bad...that they can work hard even in the face of adversity.


I came away thinking - WTF...? If this kid can recover from a serious spinal injury and run 15K...What's stopping me???


I wasn't *looking* for inspiration but came away with a renewed spring in my step...and funnily enough, I don't feel sorry for my new *client*...I feel somehow proud of him and so glad I met him, I came away with a happy feeling.


Inspiration is everywhere...we just need to be receptive to it.


Have a great weekend - I think it's time to bring C25K back on the training menu.


xoxox

5 comments:

  1. What a great story Sandra! It is great that you were able to take away some inspiration from him rather than just feeling sorry for him and his story.
    Good luck with the C25k training - now that you have raised it again, you know we are expecting to hear about it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this post Sandra. The first few lines had me wondering where it was going but it had me captivated.

    Every so often we are sent a message in some form or other reminding us of our place in this universe and helping us put things into perspective. I think this man was your "message." Its so easy to grumble about this and that and feel sorry for ourselves (of which I'm majorly guilty) but we can and should take some inspiration from these rare and special people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vic - you're on! ... planning to get back to some "serious" weights again also - stay tuned ;)

    Magda - I can be a bit of a whinger myself ... "my back gets sore..." etc Bloody hell, this kid's got fused vertebrae! I don't think my "sore" back excuse will ever cut it for me again! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great story Sandra! I need to read these things every now and again and well done to your client.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He's a lovely young man, Liz...I think he'll go far - the sky's the limit with an atittude and will power like his :)

    ReplyDelete