Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Blogger Etiquette...does it exist?

I am fairly new to this Blogging "thing"...

I admit I am not one particular "genre" - I enjoy reading the fitness Bloggers, but also like the "mummy"(?) Bloggers, love some of the fashion Bloggers and adore looking through the decorating Bloggers posts.

I generally comment or link up to the first two - the last two are way beyond me and not what I "do", I feel I would be out of my depth and my time is limited as it is!...but I like to look...

So, here's the thing - some Bloggers reply to (just about) every comment. These gals are dedicated and have the time and patience to do so.

Others don't, and that's ok.

Others "moderate" their comments...you leave a comment and get a little message saying it is awaiting the Blog Owner's approval. Which is fine...but sensitive Bloggers like *moi* can take it the wrong way if an innocent, well-intended comment is not "approved" by the Blog owner...is it because I'm not "fit enough"? or my kids aren't the same age as yours?...you get the drift, we start to wonder.

And that is when this Cancerian retreats into her shell and will probably never leave a comment on that Blog E-V-E-R again!!!

Mind you, I am not here for popularity or Blog awards...I haven't got the time or inclination to devote so much to my Blog...If I'm honest I'll say that I treat my Blog a little bit like a diary, or journal...somewhere to record thoughts and chapters in my life...except no-one got to see my diary from my teenage years, but as many of you as visit my Blog can read my thoughts and feelings from day to day.


Yes, it's a funny thing to ponder on, this Social Media.

Are there hidden rules that Bloggers adhere to...? Surely there is no such thing as *copyright*...? I recall a couple of weeks after I re-named my Blog, suddenly it seemed that the word "Fab" was everywhere...everyone wanted to be "Fabulous"...and I'm glad. It means there were a few people reading this Blog and I'd inspired them! :)

...and I don't think I'll be moderating or "approving" my comments for the time being - stats show me that for every 25 readers, an average of 1 reader leaves a message, so I'll just keep on replying when I can...


xoxox

6 comments:

  1. You know, I've wondered the same thing Sandra. I've got to admit, when the 'waiting for approval' thing flashes up I tend to just not bother going back to see if I made the grade. I'm sure many people have a valid reason for wanting to pre-read comments but to be honest, my ego is fragile enough without finding out I'm not in the in crowd.

    One thing I did discover the other day when I wanted to read a post someone had left on a blog hop is that some are by invitation only!!!

    Again, I have no idea why. Is it so only the worthy can read them? And how do they discover the worthy? If you don't want just anyone to read your blog, why post on a blog hop?

    I do really appreciate the ones who take the time to reply to comments that are left and I always try to myself although having a small following makes this relatively easy for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandra I started to reply to comments when I decided I really liked that individual attention from bloggers who I commented on. It made me feel like I was being listened to and I wanted to return the favour to others. I appreciate that not everybody has the time but feel that its a nice touch if you can do it.

    As for etiquette, if I use a saying that I "pinched" from somebody else, I'll mention that I got it from them. Same with recipes or pinching somebody's blog topic idea (sometimes thats the only inspiration I have).

    I think the comment moderators are checking for negative or abusive content - at least thats my naive opinion. I have a friend who disabled comments on her blog because she didnt care what people thought or wanted to say about what she wrote.

    I'm too interactive to do that as I love feedback - good or bad. Soemtimes I NEED the kick up the bum that other bloggers (so rightly) dish out LOL.

    XX Magda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sandra,
    I love it when people read (and comment!) on my blog - and I make it my business to reply to every comment that is left for me, to acknowledge the other person and to thank them for their interest.
    My take is that if I show some interest and leave a couple of comments on that blog and there's absolutely no reaction or reciprocation on their blog or my blog, I just stop reading.
    As for leaving comments on other blogs - I have a few core blogs I read and mostly try and comment if I can and time allows. I believe it enhances connection between all of us.

    Cheers
    Liz :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah - I also wonder why people with "by invite only" Blogs link up to others, when the idea of the link-ups is for different people to read your Blog...Totally agree with what you're saying. :) xx
    Magda - I think replying to comments keeps the conversation flowing, although I also understand that some Bloggers get so many comments they can't possibly reply to everyone.xo
    Liz - you are one of those Bloggers who make it fun to comment, always back with a reply and feedback ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Sandra, I am a bit late replying here...my blog time has been limited of late!! So playing catch ups on some of my faves now :)

    I have no idea how mine are set up - some replies get automatically approved and others I get an email asking for my approval (not sure how Wordpress works that out but it does) and the only ones I would never approve would be spam or abusive type comments.

    I must say that sometimes when I am being lazy with my blog it may take me a while to get to the comments - BUT I try to reply individually to all of them...like Magda, I liked the way it made me feel when other Bloggers replied specifically to me, so I try and do it also :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Vic, (just typed out half a reply to you and it disappeared!!!!hmmmm)
    Thanks for the input, you are one of those Bloggers I love commenting on and I guess I've based myself on people like you and the gals above and try to reply to 99% of the comments.
    xo

    ReplyDelete