Sunday, June 19, 2011

Good-bye WW...

Didn't last long this time, did it?

I counted Points on Weight Watchers for three weeks...the first week was spot-on, then Cassie's brithday came along, and I "relaxed" a little. Missed the next meeting because I had to drop the girls off to separate activities...

I lost about two kilos since I started, but here's the interesting thing - this last week, I did not count "points"...I just used common sense in my choice of foods. I aimed for balance - ie, once a week I attend a breakfast meeting where a rather large (but not un-healthy) breakfast is served. For the rest of that day, I ate "lightly"...mainly fruit and a nice simple dinner made up of chicken and salad...

...and I still registered a loss when I stepped on my scales last Friday...Hubby even mentioned that I "feel" smaller (he's no doubt referring to my middle section)


So almost without thinking about it, I have made the decision to draw on what I've learnt about my body over the years and devise my own way of eating...a little bit inspired by LizN and her manifesto, which seems to have come about her Blog at just the right time for me.


Here are a few of the things I have learnt that work for Me in not only the "weight loss" department but also help me feel and look my best :

* Cut out/minimize refined carbs - notice I am not "cutting out" carbs, I will continue to eat carbs in the shape of fruit, vegies and whole grains, but will cut out refined "white" carbs and processed foods containing added sugars.

* Three meals a day- including a good source of protein at each meal, and two snacks to be fruit, veggies or nuts

* Good oils every day - flaxseed, olive oil or a good quality nut butter

* 2 Litres of water a day

* Full cream organic yoghurt - "low fat" or "sugar free" yoghurt has a pretty negative effect on my body...so I will indulge in the real stuff every now and then without suffering the side-effects

* I will enjoy occasional "treats"- or foods that aren't on my list without thinking of them as "cheat meals" or even worse, label them "bad foods" - Hubby's Sunday morning pancakes are a classic example : so he uses white flour and a little butter...the sense of ritual/tradition, the smell of the house on Sunday morning because he got up before the rest of us to start cooking, and the conversation and laughter as the four of us unite over cups of steaming hot tea and delicious food is just too "good" to cause any guilt or shame.


As far as exercise, I am really enjoying very long brisk walks in the bush 5-6 times a week. I am feeling energised enough to pick up my C25K again and give it a good shot, but the one thing we are changing a bit is that both Hubby and I feel so much better and stronger when we weight-train consistently, so come July (because June is so damn crazy work-wise), we will re-join the gym and start pumping some iron again.



In retrospect, I have never felt as good as I did back in 2009 after following most of the principles I mention above for about a year...I felt fit and strong, my size 10's fit very nicely, my skin hair and nails were healthy and I had so much energy!



Before I forget - it's still June!!!! better get some ironing done before Sunday is over! - back to craziness tomorrow ;)


Have a great week everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Love it! Love it! Love it! Sandra.

    There must be something in the air / water as a few of us seem to be coming into our own lately (although Liz has been there for some time).

    M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Magda! Didn't expect such enthusiasm, I really appreciate your support...Yes, Liz is amazing :)

    ReplyDelete